Welcome to the forums. Please post in English or French.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-15 12:25:33

dbpatankar

Salome-Meca/Code_Aster tutorials for beginners

Hi all,

I have started a series of video tutorials for the beginners in Salome-Meca and Code_Aster. The tutorials are very basic and meant only for those who have either just started or willing to start using Salome-Meca/Code_Aster. If you have already used Code_Aster/Salome-Meca earlier then at least initial few tutorials are of no use. However experienced users are still welcome and have a look at the tutorials for correctness and suggestions for improvement.

Moreover, I also request the users to suggest problems for next tutorials. That will not only help others but also keep me motivated to develop more tutorials.

I have a plan of at least 10 tutorials right now. All the tutorials are expected to be closely related to Civil engineering domain as I am a Civil engineer.

The video tutorials are on my youtube channel and can be found at :
https://www.youtube.com/user/dbpatankar/

Last edited by dbpatankar (2017-09-15 12:26:59)

#2 2017-09-15 13:48:17

Thomas DE SOZA
Guru

Re: Salome-Meca/Code_Aster tutorials for beginners

Hi,

Great work! Thanks a lot for these contributions.

We've posted the link to your video tutorials on code_aster's Twitter account:  https://twitter.com/CodeAster/status/908673035745611778

TdS

#3 2017-09-15 17:51:28

sb1966

Dear Patankar,
Really glad to have your tutorials, that too covering very recent Aster-Study module. It is a great work and these tutorials will really help the beginners to learn Salome-Meca. I congratulate you for the tutorials and hope to see series of them in near future.

By the way, I am planning to integrate Salome-Meca to my teaching and your tutorials will be a big help to students, particularly the beginners. I have a very little exposure to Salome-Meca/Code-Aster, though I am an avid enthusiastic of Open Source softwares like OpenSees, Scilab etc. I have been using them, both for my teaching and research works over the years. However, I strongly believe that for practising FEA or  in solving real life Design/Analysis, Salome-Meca has almost no substitute in terms of its huge documentation, test cases and vast resources on Element Library and Material Models, integrated with Pre- and Post-processors. That's why I am interested to gradually introduce Salome-Meca/ Code-aster to my students.

Another very important feature of your tutorial is the voice in English, which, most of the Salome or Code-Aster or Calculix tutorials do not have. This will greatly benefit the Non-French speaking learners, particularly in India.

Regarding your invitation for suggestion about your future tutorials, I would like to present the following. I am sure these will have my personal bias, me being a learner in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering. They are:
1) Gradual introduction of Non-linear static analysis of structures.
2) Non-linear analysis of Geotechnical systems, particularly simulation of excavation and filling of geo-materials/porous materials
2) Non-linear Modal and Transient analysis of Structures/ Soil
3) Soil-Structure Interaction Studies, including seismic ones, if possible.

I am aware that the list is very demanding in terms of the back ground necessary. Since I do not know your specialization, I am listing my personal preferences thinking you to be familiar with them.

However, you are always welcome to choose your topic and I am sure, any topic of your interest will be of same interest to many of the Civil Engineers/ CE students.

I would like to take the help of your expertise in educating myself about Salome-Meca/Code-Aster. If you permit, I would like to interact with you in your email.

Thank you.

With Regards.

Sukumar

#4 2017-09-16 14:13:26

dbpatankar

Thank you all for encouraging response!

I am glad that I can be of some help to the community from which I have derived a lot.

@Sukumar

Good things happen when people collaborate!

While I was a teacher in various engineering colleges for a short duration, I realized that students need to know amazing tools available for them in the open source domain, Code_Aster being one of them. But when I asked them to go through it, everyone had common major issues, language and lack of most basic tutorials to get things going. This motivated me to take up this task of preparing a series of videos only for beginners so that they feel comfortable to dive deeper into it.

Such a coincidence that I am a senior research fellow in the Department of Earthquake Engineering at IIT Roorkee. And looking at your suggestions, I can definitely say that suggestions 1 and 3 are definitely on my cards. However, me being basically a structural engineer, not sure about geotechnical aspects of Earthquake Engineering to a great depth. Maybe at some stage, we both can come up with some interesting problems to solve.

#5 2017-09-16 15:33:08

sb1966

dbpatankar wrote:

Thank you all for encouraging response!

I am glad that I can be of some help to the community from which I have derived a lot.

Dear Patankar,

Very happy to see your nice words about this community.

dbpatankar wrote:

Such a coincidence that I am a senior research fellow in the Department of Earthquake Engineering at IIT Roorkee. And looking at your suggestions, I can definitely say that suggestions 1 and 3 are definitely on my cards. However, me being basically a structural engineer, not sure about geotechnical aspects of Earthquake Engineering to a great depth. Maybe at some stage, we both can come up with some interesting problems to solve.

I am really very happy to know that you are from my Alma-mater. I was a PhD student in IIT Roorkee in the Department of Civil Engineering, fortunate to work under a stalwart in Geotechnical Engineering, Prof. Swami Saran. My area of specialization is Dynamic SSI. Currently I am working on (Non-linear) dynamic analysis of Soil-Structure systems, mostly by using OpenSees.

So I am sure that with your help, I would be able to make quick progress with Salome-Meca/Code-Aster and in future we can do something constructive jointly.

Best wishes and look forward to your next tutorials.

Regards.

Sukumar

Board footer