Welcome to the forums. Please post in English or French.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-16 16:33:51

tpa

Salome-Meca on a terminal

I have installed Salome-Meca 2018 (and 2019, actually) in a linux system (Linux Mint 18 ~ Unbuntu Xenial (16.04)).

The linux system runs on a virtual machine on a Xen-server. I connect to the machine via an X session from remote.
All seems to work well with the GEOM, SMESH and ASTER modules, but whenever I activate PARAVIS in this configuration Salome Meca crashes quite ungracefully with no error windows or goodbyes. I guess something with the screen handling over network might be part of the cause, but the X session itself survives the crash so one has to dig deeper ...

Thanks for reading. Any help on how to get this working will be highly appreciated.

Edit: I have a .crash file including the core dump but this is rather big, so I will wait to hear if anyone requests it or parts from it before uploading.

Last edited by tpa (2020-07-17 21:39:28)

#2 2020-07-29 06:36:43

mathieu.courtois
Administrator

Re: Salome-Meca on a terminal

please try to follow this procedure : https://www.code-aster.org/spip.php?article1111

Code_Aster release : last unstable on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bits - GNU Compilers

Please do not forget to tag your first post as *SOLVED* when it is!

#3 2020-07-31 22:45:38

tpa

Hi,
Thank you for the proposal.
I just tried the method on a fresh install. Some things change, other things seem unaffected.

When I start salome_mesa I can activate all of the modules but the graphic window does work (is not updated) in either module and I get this error:

Xlib:    extension "MIT-SHM" missing on display "192.168.1.220:0"

The error is repeated on mouse events in the graphic area. The IP is the terminal that I am on, so the terminal server (Xming) might not be compatible. I do not know if that should be a known issue. It has worked in the past.

When I start salome_gpu everything seems working, except for Paravis module which still cause ungraceful crash as before. So - I can calculate but not view results.

#4 2020-08-02 08:25:07

tpa

Also - as far as I have found the MIT-SHM extension is based on shared memory, requiring the client and server to run on the same machine. In my case I have the client (SalomeMECA) on the far machine and the Xserver (Xming) on my terminal. Strange.