Welcome to the forums. Please post in English or French.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-18 14:40:43

manutech

Using Abaqus input files in Code Aster

Hi!
I'm trying to get a bit more attention for my posting in the Salome usage forum. tcdonley already helped me a lot but honestly I'm hoping for an even more convenient solution. The problem I've got to deal with is the following:

Does anybody know how I can import cae or inp files from Abaqus. I haven't found anything how I can avoid building up again all the models in Salome. Does anybody know a converter or  anything like that? Does anyone else have any experience with this issue? I can't imagine we are the first ones dealing with that...

Thank you very much and please excuse the double-posting!
manutech.

#2 2011-03-18 16:14:50

gab_ventosa
Website

Re: Using Abaqus input files in Code Aster

I think that can be done very easyly with python.
I am also very interested in having a traslator from abaqus to aster. I am sure that traslating a mesh part from abaqus to aster can be done without much effort with python. I have read several topics on the forum about mesh traslation. Traslating the model commands will be a bit difficult and will depend on the equivalent features between abaqus and aster.

As I comment you I work a lot with abaqus but I really like aster so I am willing to spend time working on a traslator
Best regards
LG ventosa

Und Gott sagte: Ja, nun wird ihnen nichts, was sie zu tun gedanken, unrreichbar sein.
1. Mose 11:6

#3 2011-03-18 16:46:42

Nima

Hi,
Have a look on Calculix's cgx. You can read inp files into Calculix and then export it in aster format. As far as I remember, you need to do it group by group.

Good luck

#4 2011-03-20 22:57:11

todd_alan_martin

Nima wrote:

Have a look on Calculix's cgx. You can read inp files into Calculix and then export it in aster format. As far as I remember, you need to do it group by group.

I actually wrote a patch for Calculix, which was included in version 1.9. The latest version is 2.2

The command "send all aster" now generates a *.mail file with all the nodes and elements, as well as the node and element groups. You don't need to export each node/element group by name into separate files. Which was pretty useless anyway.

You need to go here
http://www.dhondt.de/
for the linux version, documentation and source.

Last edited by todd_alan_martin (2011-03-20 22:58:08)

#5 2011-03-21 08:26:00

manutech

Hi,
thanks alot for the hints! I'll check them out and tell you if I found out more!

#6 2011-03-21 09:34:15

Ect

Hello,

I have written this crude script to export an assembly from CAE as a .mail file. You will have to modify it in order to take the element type you need into account. To use it modify the ModelName and fileName variables and run the script with execfile('MeshExport.py') in the python console (preferred method over running it from the file menu because you will have the opportunity to debug it).

Node numerotation is flattened (no part support), Parts are exported as elements groups, sets as node groups. Surfaces are exported both as node and elements groups for shell parts, I think that you have to skin volumic elements with shells to make it working properly otherwise. This point is far from perfect, orientation is not taken into account etc...

Due to mail format limitation you should also keep all names lenghts under 8 chars, and don't use the same name for sets in different parts. What would be great here will be to have a CAE to med translator, so full partname.setname or partname.surfacename could be used...

Hope it will help a bit.

Last edited by Ect (2011-03-21 09:35:33)

Attachments:
MeshExport.py, Size: 4.37 KiB, Downloads: 658