Welcome to the forums. Please post in English or French.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-10 15:39:31

dbpatankar
Member
From: Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India
Registered: 2010-05-22
Posts: 172

CALC_MATR_ELEM gives numerical error Floating point exception

Can anyone please tell me the reason and resolution of the error?

!-------------------------------------------------------!
   ! <F> <DVP_2>                                           !
   !                                                       !
   ! Erreur numrique (floating point exception).          !
   !                                                       !
   !                                                       !
   ! Cette erreur est fatale. Le code s'arrete.            !
   ! Il y a probablement une erreur dans la programmation. !
   ! Veuillez contacter votre assistance technique.        !
   !-------------------------------------------------------!

All the files required for running the code are added as an attachment.

The structure is a G+3 storey RCC framed structure (With slab). The structure is subjected to seismic loading in X, Y and Z direction.


Attachments:
building.mail.zip, Size: 819.19 KiB, Downloads: 171

Offline

#2 2012-03-12 13:37:11

Thomas DE SOZA
Guru
From: EDF
Registered: 2007-11-23
Posts: 3,066

Re: CALC_MATR_ELEM gives numerical error Floating point exception

Hi,

The problem comes from your mesh. The two upper floors are distorted. The QUAD4 are not correctly entered in the mesh. See attached picture.

TdS


Attachments:
distortion.png, Size: 76.98 KiB, Downloads: 180

Offline

#3 2012-03-12 14:22:52

jeanpierreaubry
Guru
From: nantes (france)
Registered: 2009-03-12
Posts: 3,569

Re: CALC_MATR_ELEM gives numerical error Floating point exception

hello

just one silly question
why are the slabs (in yellow on the pics) connected only to the vertical posts
and not on the horizontal elements

and one remark
had Gmsh been used to do the geometry it would have detected the inverted surfaces error at geometry stage!

jean pierre aubry

Last edited by jeanpierreaubry (2012-03-12 14:25:13)

Offline

#4 2012-03-12 14:39:56

dbpatankar
Member
From: Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India
Registered: 2010-05-22
Posts: 172

Re: CALC_MATR_ELEM gives numerical error Floating point exception

Thomas DE SOZA wrote:

Hi,

The problem comes from your mesh. The two upper floors are distorted. The QUAD4 are not correctly entered in the mesh. See attached picture.

TdS

OMG!! What a silly mistake!

Thank you for your efforts.

jeanpierreaubry wrote:

just one silly question
why are the slabs (in yellow on the pics) connected only to the vertical posts
and not on the horizontal elements

No question is silly question. smile

I would like to know how to do this. As per my information GRILLE_MEMBRANE only supports TRI3 and QUAD4 elements.

Earlier I have tried to divide the membrane into 4 parts but in that case the central node of slab need to be given some BC otherwise that node deflects without loading. I have also posted this in forum (if I remember correctly smile ).

Offline

#5 2012-03-12 15:17:26

jeanpierreaubry
Guru
From: nantes (france)
Registered: 2009-03-12
Posts: 3,569

Re: CALC_MATR_ELEM gives numerical error Floating point exception

dbpatankar wrote:

I would like to know how to do this. As per my information GRILLE_MEMBRANE only supports TRI3 and QUAD4 elements.

Earlier I have tried to divide the membrane into 4 parts but in that case the central node of slab need to be given some BC otherwise that node deflects without loading. I have also posted this in forum (if I remember correctly smile ).

i do not understand what you mean about the center node

i suggest
you restart from the beginning
make a geo and a mesh in Gmsh with all nodes connected to te slab
and solve a simple MECA_STATIQUE with beams and TRIA3 or QUAD4 DKT on the slab
then go to GRILLE
and in the end to the seismic model

Offline