Welcome to the forums. Please post in English or French.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-03 09:56:28

Stivan_Astro

Cohesive elements automatic creation

Hello everyone,

I use joint elements and mixed interface finite elements for cohesive zone models in Code_Aster.

Can these elements have an initial thickness of zero?
I would like to be able to just define a 2D surface of potential crack in a 3D geometry. This surface would be meshed with hexahedrons or pentahedrons (according to the surrounding elements: hexahedrons or tetrahedrons) but with nodes initially confused two by two. Visually this will initially give quadrangular or triangular elements.

Note: I don't want to use XFEM for the moment because I have to keep to different meshes on the both sides of the interface. Of course these two meshes should be compatible on the interface.

In the documentation there is something about automatic creation of cohesive elements:

CREA_FISS allows creation of cohesive meshes starting from two groups of nodes in glance or confused two by two. This functionality seems to be only available in 2D but I know that the equivalent 3D is possible with a python script in Salomé.

According to the documentation, works are underway to mesh cohesive elements between two volumes or along a surface layer in a volume. The python DoubleNodeGroups command is used to duplicate the nodes of the surface mesh. The weaving of the cohesive elements between these two groups of nodes can then be realized in 2D in by means of the keyword CREA_FISS or from a python script in 3D available with the author Jerome LAVERNE.
Is it possible to find this python routine somewhere or find more information about automatic creation in 3D?

Thank you for your support.

Last edited by Stivan_Astro (2018-07-03 15:07:03)

#2 2018-08-02 12:12:11

Thomas DE SOZA
Guru

Re: Cohesive elements automatic creation

Hello,

This is no existing feature to introduced joint elements directly, e.g. in SALOME/Mesh GUI.
However SALOME/Mesh scripting features enable that but you would need to code it yourself.

Note also that HOMARD had such a feature added if I'm not mistaken. It is not available directly in MACR_ADAP_MAIL but may be used with HOMARD standalone and possibly through the HOMARD module in SALOME.

Good luck,

TdS